Thursday, June 9, 2011

Masala Bread Scramble

Here's a quick and simple breakfast recipe for the days when you want to eat something different from the daily monotony, but are feeling too lazy to cook up an elaborate platter.

Serves: 2
Masala Bread Scramble ready to eat!
Ingredients:
  • Bread Slices - 6 (Make it brown for a healthier alternative)
  • Eggs - 3 No.s
  • Onions - 2 No.s medium, chopped
  • Tomatoes - 2 No.s, medium, finely chopped
  • Green chilli - 1 small, chopped
  • Black pepper powder - 1/4 tsp. (Or red chilli powder, whatever you like)
  • Chaat Masala - 1/4 tsp.
  • Fresh Coriander/Cilantro leaves for garnishing
  • Salt to taste
  • Oil - 1 tbsp.
  • A pinch of love :)
Method:
  1. Crumble the bread into small pieces using your hands. Whisk eggs in a bowl until smooth.
  2. Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped chillies and onions. Cook on a medium flame until onions are translucent.
  3. Add crumbled bread, turn up the heat to high. Cook for about 3-4 minutes, until you see edges of the bread pieces getting toasted. Don't forget to keep stirring, the bread cooks up really fast.
  4. Add eggs into the pan, keep stirring to make sure the eggs get scrambled and are evenly mixed. Cook for another 2 minutes. 
  5. Add tomatoes and spices. Mix well. Cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes
  6. Garnish with coriander/cilantro leaves (My favorite garnish!)
  7. Serve with tomato ketchup on the side. Works great without any add-ons too!
  8. Eat!
Tip:
This is how I made it this time, although I intend to modify the spices the next time around. Maybe add some oregano instead of the chaat masala. You can also choose to add the tomatoes after the onions instead of adding them in the end, or skipping them altogether. This tastes wonderful with just onions and green chillies too. Also, feel free to add your fav veggies to it - capsicum, peas, corn, carrots - or anything you can think of. I didn't add any since I wanted to keep it simple the first time around. Also, you can put the ketchup in just before you turn off the heat and toss it around well, so you don't have to go through messy ketchup on your plates! Tell me if this works for you, and if you have quick and easy breakfast recipes, let me know!
--

Happy Cooking!

Love,
Nidhi

8 comments:

  1. a different twist to भुर्जी पाव? now that's a quick recipe to prepare :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @dbleyefur - Thank you recipe
    http://on.fb.me/l9KgFn
    http://on.fb.me/iWJ5JP

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Unsui - You may say that yes. (a twist to bhurji pav. I am really glad you tried this out. Looks good. How did you like it? Any suggestions on the recipe? Did you make it exactly like I did or did you do any modifications?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @dbleyefur - All condiments but Ketchup were used as described in the recipe. Squeeze of lemon (left after preparing that Peri Peri Sauce last week) after the dish was ready. So that was my version. Of course I have made bhurji before using peas, mushroom, bell pepper, so I am all game to use these if there are any in pantry. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Love your blog... I love food too specially Karela... could relate so much when you said you have not eaten a good Karela dish outside of home! I can vouch for that! I have tried my mom's recipe sometimes but just doesnt work... :( M gonna try this one out, thanks for sharing this with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This saved my life when I was stranded with nothing but a stove, a couple eggs, some veggies and bread. You are a saint!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Sanyukta - Thank you so much! I'll check out your blog. :)

    @Nova - Did you try this recipe? So glad to know you're a fellow karela lover :)

    @Nitin - Your comment made me so happy! Very glad my recipe helped! Saint! haha.. Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOWW!!!! umm, its really mouth watering recipe, actually very useful tip for people like who don't have time to prepare breakfast. Thank you , thank You so much for this recipe.
    Cheap And Easy Recipes

    ReplyDelete