Thursday, April 12, 2012

Chocolate Fudge Cake

This is my signature cake.. I've been baking it since I was 12, and I can make it even while I'm sleepwalking! It's a different matter altogether that I do not sleepwalk. I do find that fascinating though.. sleepwalking.. I wonder how it'd be. Anyway, don't mean to digress. 

My sister and I used to fight like animals when we were kids. And then time came for her to go away for college. I was still in school.. and I missed her terribly. Whenever she used to come home for her vacations, she would call me and tell me to make sure I keep the cake ready for her.. And I used to love baking this cake for her. Once she was home, she'd give me a mingy little piece and eat the rest of it by herself. I used to love the fact that she was enjoying eating the cake I baked. We're both married and live in different cities now.. It's not that we're not in touch - of course we constantly are - but we don't get a chance to spend sisters time together.. I always miss her every time I bake this cake.

Sis - This one's for you! xoxoxoxo

Here's the recipe for you to try. You'll fall in love with yourself (all over again) when you eat what you've created. You'll want to kiss your own hands.

Oh and did I mention this is an eggless cake? Yep! So vegetarians - rejoice!

It's simple as heck and delicious - every single time!



Fresh out of the oven
Mouth-watering Chocolate Icing!
After the icing
The finished product


Ingredients:

For the cake

All purpose flour - 1 cup
Cocoa powder - 1/4th cup
Castor sugar - 3/4th cup
Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
Yoghurt - 6 tbsp
Milk - 5 tbsp
Melted Butter - 6 tbsp
Crushed Walnuts - 1/2 cup
Vanilla essence - 1/2 tsp

For baking

Baking tray - 8 inches diameter
Parchment paper
Butter to grease the tray

For icing

Cocoa powder - 4 tbsp
Icing Sugar - 4 tbsp
Lukewarm water

And as always, the most important ingredient - A pinch of love! :)

Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius
  2. Line the baking tray with parchment paper and grease with some butter
  3. Mix in all the dry ingredients in a big bowl
  4. Add all the wet ingredients
  5. Mix well to make sure the mixture is smooth and evenly mixed. Make sure there are no clumps
  6. Pour the mixture into the baking tray
  7. Bake it for 20-25 minutes. Keep a check, this may vary depending on the size of your baking dish and the consistency of your cake. If you think its done, prick the centre of the cake with a toothpick. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cake is done.
  8. Keep the cake aside and let it cool. Do not take it out of the baking tray until it's cooled down. If you attempt taking the cake out while its hot, you risk breaking it. Have some patience!
  9. While the cake cools down, mix up cocoa powder and sugar for the icing. put in a couple of tablespoons of lukewarm water. Pour it one spoon at a time to make sure the icing doesn't get runny. If the icing gets too runny, the cake becomes a little too soggy and while it still remains delicious.. it just becomes messy to handle.
  10. Pour the icing on the cake once the cake is at room temperature.
  11. Eat!

I would love to know how it turned out for you, let me know if you make it yourself. I would also love recipes for some easy to make desserts. Let me know if you have any.

Did I mention I got married between the last post and this one? The husband is a major foodie, which means I am now cooking more than ever.. There are a whole lot of recipes waiting to be published. I'll try to put em up soon! :)


Later!

Love,
Nidhi

1 comment: